[CentOS] Cloud on CentOS Server

Thu Mar 8 19:29:06 UTC 2012
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

On 3/7/2012 1:20 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/07/12 10:06 AM, John Hinton wrote:
>> I'm looking into adding a cloud to one of my servers.
> what does "a cloud" mean in this context ?
>
> to me, a cloud is a set of homogenous servers running distributed
> applications.   classic cloud is google.    the term has been degraded
> to also refer to a stack of servers running a virtualization platform
> such that the individual VMs don't care what hardware they are assigned
> to, classic example of a VM cloud is Amazon AWS.
>
> I don't understand how ANYTHING you do on a single server could be
> called 'cloudy'.

Perhaps the definition of cloud has gone lower and should be called
"fog" now?

It seems however that the definition is an online infrastructure which may:
provide applications
provide file storage
calendar
contacts
collaboration
communication
among a number of other things

and that these services are all available to 'users' on the cloud via:
servers
desktops
laptops
tablets
phones

As for how many servers? Well that is a matter of how many users you
have, loads, storage capacity and just about anything else a single or
bank of servers might do.

At the moment, our business has 4 people in four different locations and
we want to better share our work. Seems like file shares are one aspect,
but perhaps some applications, certainly collaboration and I really
don't like putting stuff on Google. I see at least one of these allows
you to run OpenOffice through the browser. I haven't really done a lot
of research into this yet and really all I wanted was some ideas for a
simple open source cloud software that was preferably friendly to CentOS.

Also, this would be a good exercise in learning a bit more of what is
out there that our clients might wish to use. No, I'm not building a
system where anyone in the world can sign up, nor for a fortune 500
company, nor even one much smaller. Just for us at the moment, and
perhaps do a bit of sharing to our clients from time to time.

I have so far found eyeOS and am also looking at ownCloud. Thanks Devin
for that link.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502