[CentOS] The CentOS "contrib" repository

Sat Mar 10 08:13:32 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/09/2012 09:32 PM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> According to the Wiki, the CentOS contrib repository "contains packages
> contributed by CentOS users which do not overlap with any of the core
> distribution packages".
>
> The repository seems to be empty. Are contributions actually welcome?
> Are there any policies about proposing packages?
>
> Thanks,

Anything is possible, but with the very good 3rd party repositories of
EPEL, ELRepo, and RepoForge available and accepting user packages from
the community, those would be a better bet.  When we developed the
concept of contrib, those repositories did not exist or had very limited
support for Enterprise Linux.

Items added to CentOS would likely need to be things that are major
upstream offerings, like RHEV, JBoss, etc. ... and not individual
packages (again, the other 3rd Party repos are great for those).

If we were going to distribute items from a contributor, that person
would first need to gain the trust of the CentOS Project and would not
happen overnight.  Members of the QA Team, forum moderators, documention
maintainers,  etc., who have interfaced with the team for a period of
time would have a much better chance of getting our attention than
someone we are not familiar with.