[CentOS] perl .spec / srpm

Mon Mar 12 17:12:19 UTC 2012
Nick <oinksocket at letterboxes.org>

Thanks for the links.

On 12/03/12 16:49, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> This is where all the CentOS-6.2 SRPMS live:
>
> http://vault.centos.org/6.2/os/Source/SPackages/

I have considered that - thing is, stock RPMs, and that one in particular,
contain a lot of vendor supplied patches which at the very least complicate
matters.  Red Hat's reputation for making the occasional gaffe wrt. Perl is one
of the motivations for building our own Perl direct from source.  (The other is
that Perl 5.10 is already EOLed upstream [1].)

>> Whilst I'm asking, ditto a Perl-enabled version of OpenLDAP (latest stable
>> release)?  IIRC, the version in the base repo has the Perl extensions disabled.
>
> Why not get the srpm and change the configure...?
> http://vault.centos.org/6.2/os/Source/SPackages/openldap-2.4.23-20.el6.src.rpm

Likewise - in fact, I did exactly that for the Centos5 package, and I remember
it incurred quite a lot of work for me, reverse-engineering the various vendor
patches such that my modified build parameters would get applied correctly (one
of the patches dropped a makefile symbol, as I recall - but this was a while ago).

This is why my first step is to see if anyone's already done the work already.
If not, then I start trying to tweak/hack base RPMs or

1. http://news.perlfoundation.org/2011/05/perl-514.html