[CentOS] Stateless client

Mon Mar 12 18:10:18 UTC 2012

Rushton Martin wrote:
> I'm trying to configure an old 64-bit desktop machine as a client for a
> CentOS server.  The client must have no modifiable storage at all so my
> options seem to be:
> 1)	Stateless network boot
> 2)	Live DVD
>
> I've been looking at the latter route, does anyone know if there is a
> convenient hook so that the live dvd will automatically download  and
> execute a file during bootstrapping?  I need to have some state, but
> held on the server.  If there are any instructions for hacking the
> CentOS live dvd, please point me at them.

Not CentOS, but perhaps you might be interested in LPS
<http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm>

No mounted storage at all, and built by a team from the US DoD, who
*ought* to be paranoid enough for you. I've put it on a USB key, and have
been saying for a month or so I need to try it (this would be for work,
where I *have* to use a PIV "smart card" to get in from outside).

        mark