[CentOS] Cron marks mailto value as UNSAFE

Mon Mar 12 21:10:31 UTC 2012
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 12.03.2012 20:03, schrieb James B. Byrne:
> CentOS-6.2
>
> We moved a cron job from a CentOS-5.7 host to a CentOS-6.2
> host.  The MAILTO variable is set to support at harte-lyne.ca
> in  both instances.  On the CentOS-6 host instead of
> receiving the mail with the output we see this in
> /var/log/cron instead:
>
> Mar 12 14:49:01 inet09 CROND[6639]: (cron theheart) UNSAFE
> (support at harte-lyne.ca )

Check which non-printable character you have there in the MAILTO line
(probably after the mail address). Use od or hexdump to see which
illegal (from cron's point of view) character(s) you have in there.

> The CentOS-5 host uses Sendmail as the MTA, the CentOS-6
> uses Postfix. We can send mail to support at harte-lyne.ca
> from the command line on both hosts.
>
> The permissions of the files in /var/spool/cron are:
> # ll /var/spool/cron
> total 12
> -rw-------. 1 root root   34 Mar  9 16:41 root
> -rw-------. 1 root root 4245 Mar 12 14:53 theheart

Care for usership by user theheart for his own cronjob?

> Selinux is set to Permissive (for the time being):
>
> # sestatus
> SELinux status:                 enabled
> SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> Current mode:                   permissive
> Mode from config file:          permissive
> Policy version:                 24
> Policy from config file:        targeted
>
> What is causing cron to complain. What is unsafe and how
> do I rectify this?

Alexander