[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

Tue Mar 13 14:41:24 UTC 2012
Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de>

Am 13.03.2012 00:48, schrieb Nataraj:
> I have been sucessfully using 8GB dual layer DVDs for some of my
> backups/archiving and now that the price of Blu ray has come down I am
> about to experiment with that.  I have been writing dump format files to
> the DVD's and then writing an SHA256 checksum for each dump file so it's
> very easy to verify the integrity of the dump.
>
> I am also about to try daily emcrypted backups to http://rsync.net along
> with periodic archival to blu-ray disk for one of my backup needs.

In my experience, the long-term stability of DVDs is rather
questionable. I've had quite a few nasty surprises with DVDs.
Even single-layer ones regularly turn out to be unreadable
after two or three years, and double-layer ones are worse.
I don't know if Blueray is any better in that respect.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH