[CentOS] Odd thing with Realtek Ethernet card

Fri Mar 16 20:45:17 UTC 2012
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 03/16/2012 04:03 PM, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Friday, March 16, 2012 07:41:18 PM +0000 Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I swapped a Realtek 8139 100M Net Card for a Realtek 8169 Gig
>> Net card in a Centos 5.6 system.
>
> Although the 100M versions were passable, I found the GB versions
> to be so flakey to be not worth it; I ripped them out and replaced
> them with Intel cards, which have been solid.
>
> In my case, I found that under load they would just "go away" ...
> become unresponsive and need a power cycle to clear them.  (It
> didn't appear to be an autoneg issue.)
>
> In some cases, they didn't get recognised at boot, either, whereas
> a subsequent reboot *might* make them come back.
>
> Devin

I've seen the same behavious. Realtek cards are no longer an option for
my builds. I would second Devin and suggest saving yourself a lot of
headaches... Replace with an Intel NIC. The difference in performance
and reliability is staggering.

--
Alteeve's Niche!
Madison Kelly        647-501-5200