[CentOS] LVM

Tue Mar 20 10:04:46 UTC 2012
Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at>

On 19.3.2012 10:16, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/19/12 2:14 AM, Peter Kjellström wrote:
>> I can also add that I've successfully managed to shrink ext3 before but a
>> verified backup is probably good advice..
>
> does resize2fs relocate blocks or is it restricted to shrinking only to
> last high water block in use ?

I found this in resize/resize2fs.c.unused_group_blocks

/*
 * Resizing a filesystem consists of the following phases:
 *
 *      1.  Adjust superblock and write out new parts of the inode
 *              table
 *      2.  Determine blocks which need to be relocated, and copy the
 *          contents of blocks from their old locations to the new ones.
 *      3.  Scan the inode table, doing the following:
 *              a.  If blocks have been moved, update the block
 *                      pointers in the inodes and indirect blocks to
 *                      point at the new block locations.
 *              b.  If parts of the inode table need to be evacuated,
 *                      copy inodes from their old locations to their
 *                      new ones.
 *              c.  If (b) needs to be done, note which blocks contain
 *                      directory information, since we will need to
 *                      update the directory information.
 *      4.  Update the directory blocks with the new inode locations.
 *      5.  Move the inode tables, if necessary.
 */

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb