[CentOS] Updated mirrorlist for 4.9 in vault?

Wed Mar 21 17:34:03 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/21/2012 11:26 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> I have just tried to update to 4.9 a system that was installed from a
> 4.8 local repo. Because 4.9 has been moved to vault, as described by
> Johnny in http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/638644-centos4-rhel4-upstream-effective-eol.html,
> the mirrorlist file basically contains invalid information.
>
> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=4.9&arch=i386&repo=os
>
> To avoid the faff of having to edit the CentOS-Base.repo file, is there
> any reason that the mirrorlist files couldn't be updated to point to the
> available mirrors of vault.centos.org? It would make things SO much easier!
>
> Cheers
> Tony

I don't think we want to make it easy to use software that is not being
maintained ... that is asking for people to continue to use things that
we know has security issues.

I will removed the 4.x stuff from the mirrorlist server (like we have
the 2.x and 3.x items).

Vault is not something that massive amounts of users should be using
anyway ... it is not designed to be as fault tolerant and heavily loaded
as released versions of CentOS.  Its purpose is to provide archived
software for reference and education ... not do installs from, etc.,