[CentOS] control panels, like or dislike?

Thu Mar 22 21:22:40 UTC 2012
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <4F6B9490.70101 at bobhoffman.com>,
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I understand for webhosting it might seem practical to add them, but
> with the issues and bugs they present the techs on my vps/dedicated sure
> spent a lot of time on the phone with me. That is costly.
>
> Do you use control panels? Why? Like/dislike?
>
> For some family and friends who I host a site for I found the setup of
> an additional server quite easy. A simple one page explanation of
> adding/deleting ftp, mail, or shell users, protecting directories, etc
> seems to suffice.
>
> I feel control panels are not needed and detract from being a
> knowledgeable admin. I can see if you are very new to running a centos
> server it would be helpful, but in the end run it seems to keep people
> from learning how to manage things.

I would recommend webmin and virtualmin for virtual hosting. They don't
insist on being in sole charge of your system and don't sulk if you
change stuff yourself (within reason...). But they do automate a lot of
the donkey work even for an experienced sysadmin.

However, I don't use virtualmin's auto-setup where it gets and installs
everything to make a virtual hosting appliance. I install all the system
software I want, and then install webmin and virtualmin individually.
They then just get on and find what I have.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield