[CentOS] 3TB usb drive won't mount

Fri Mar 23 06:19:50 UTC 2012
Bent Terp <bent at terp.se>

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> There's a problem here: MSDOS - that would be an MBR - can only handle
> 2TB. Now, if it's set up with 4k sectors, it'll do more, but I don't know
> if there's an interaction there.

Works on Win2k8 and Win7, so yes it's 4k sectors.

> In short, either partition the drive, or rebuild the drive with a GPT.

Yeah, won't do much good for the data on the drive, though...

So as a stop-gap measure, the drive is currently mounted on a Win2k8 box
and the C6 box cifs-mounts //ip/e$ It ain't pretty but it's the best I can
do at the moment.

But you had a good point 'bout the partiontable - that could explain why I
had success with some drives and not with others. Once this disk has been
emptied, I'll try and rebuild it and see if that works on both platforms.

BR Bent