[CentOS] Faster and faster

Tue Mar 27 20:23:10 UTC 2012
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 03/27/2012 01:08 PM, Piero wrote:
> Hi Centos Team,
>
>    I was here the hard days in which CentOS 6 appeared would never
> appear, and then was CentOS 5.6 (maybe 5.7...do not remember well)
> that struggled to see the light and I was very afraid CentOS would not
> survive... but as I was worried in the past actually I'm very
> impressed of the speed of latest releases: what has changed? Just out
> of curiosity...
>
> Thanks for your hard work and great product,
> Bye
> Piero

I can't speak to specifics, but I do know that upstream put a lot of
effort into parring down what is in EL6. Their goal was to simplify and
streamline support, and to allow them to focus on a smaller subset of
tools to improve the support on those components still in the new release.

If I were to guess, I would say that this clean-up and slim down did a
lot to improve the performance, as well as reduce the supported code
base to such a degree that they could more effectively improve quality
and performance.

My $0.02 guess.

--
Digimer