[CentOS] mismatch in openssh latest rpm available at centos

Thu Mar 29 15:39:21 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/29/2012 09:56 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 03/28/2012 08:05 PM, Vinay Nagrik wrote:
>>> The latest rpm in openssh is 5.8, however, the corresponding latest rpm
>>> available in centos 5.7  is only
>>> openssh-4.3p2-72.el5_6.3.x86_64.rpm
>>> and in 6.0 centos is
>>> openssh-5.3p1-20.el6.x86_64.rpm
>>>
>>> I have following questions.
>>>
>>> 1. I want to start from src.rpm and where can I get the src.rpm for
>>> openssh-5.3p1-20.el6.x86_64.rpm.
>>>
>>> 2. Can I install openssh-5.3p1-20.el6.x86_64.rpm SAFELY with 5.7 centos
>>> without causing any problems.
>> If you rebuild it, if it rebuilds, and if you rebuild anything that
>> depends on the old one, then yes.  It may not build without newer
>> "buildrequires" being met though.  And now, every time there is an
>> upgrade, you have to remember to get the new one and rebuild again.  You
>> also have to track any changes of the new "buildrequires" that you had
>> to build.
>>> 3. Which of these two rpms will be most compatible with latest openssh
>>> rpm version 5.8.
> <snip>
>> If you rebuild a new ssh, you will also have to rebuild any packages
>> that are built against the old openssh against the new openssh.
>>
>> If you are concerned about security ... that is the whole purpose of
>> enterprise linux ... it backports security patches for 10 years while
>> maintaining consistent APIs/ABIs.
>>
>> If you want the latest packages on your machine, then you want Fedora
>> and not CentOS.
> Well... I can see it. We had to build a newer package for 5.x, because we
> *had* to have PIV-II/pkcs11 support. That's *just* come in with 6.2, to be
> able to log in with a smart card. Even so, there's a bug/enhancement (and
> my manager has this in w/ Redhat, and it's been escalated) needed, that it
> insists on showing the userlist of recent logins.

And this can be the case ... they will roll back security items, but
there will be some new functionality that is not rolled back.

If you really need some new function, then yes, a rebuild is in order.

That entails all the things I outlined above though ... figuring out
"what else" you need to build first to use as a "BuildRequires", figure
out what you have to build after because they depend on the built Share
libraries of the package (or one they depend on one of your Newer
BuildRequires that you needed).  Then you need to set up a method to
track all the "out of band" packages that you are adding so you keep
them up2date.

This can sometimes just be the package in question ... but sometimes it
can be a whole bunch of other packages too ... for example, if you built
a newer openssl, you would also need to rebuild all of these afterwards
(which build against openssl):

[hughesjr at localhost SRPMS]$ for srpms in $(ls *.src.rpm); do
is_openssl=$(rpm -qp --requires $srpms | grep openssl); if [
"$is_openssl" != ""  ]; then echo $srpms; fi; done
authd-1.4.3-14.src.rpm
autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.163.el5.src.rpm
bind-9.3.6-20.P1.el5.src.rpm
bind97-9.7.0-6.P2.el5_7.4.src.rpm
certmonger-0.50-3.el5.src.rpm
clustermon-0.12.1-7.el5.centos.src.rpm
conga-0.12.2-51.el5.centos.src.rpm
crypto-utils-2.3-2.el5.src.rpm
curl-7.15.5-15.el5.src.rpm
cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-12.el5_7.2.src.rpm
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-5.el5_4.3.src.rpm
desktop-printing-0.19-20.2.el5.src.rpm
distcache-1.4.5-14.1.src.rpm
dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5_7.1.src.rpm
ecryptfs-utils-75-8.el5.src.rpm
elinks-0.11.1-6.el5_4.1.src.rpm
epic-2.4-1.src.rpm
evolution-connector-2.12.3-11.el5.src.rpm
evolution-data-server-1.12.3-18.el5.src.rpm
exim-4.63-10.el5.src.rpm
fetchmail-6.3.6-4.el5.src.rpm
fipscheck-1.2.0-1.el5.src.rpm
freeradius-1.1.3-1.6.el5.src.rpm
freeradius2-2.1.12-3.el5.src.rpm
gftp-2.0.18-3.2.2.src.rpm
gnome-vfs2-2.16.2-8.el5.src.rpm
hplip-1.6.7-6.el5_6.1.src.rpm
hplip3-3.9.8-11.el5_6.1.src.rpm
htdig-3.2.0b6-11.el5.src.rpm
httpd-2.2.3-63.el5.centos.src.rpm
ipsec-tools-0.6.5-14.el5_5.5.src.rpm
iscsi-initiator-utils-6.2.0.872-13.el5.src.rpm
isns-utils-0.93-1.0.el5.src.rpm
java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-1.24.1.10.4.el5.src.rpm
kdelibs-3.5.4-26.el5.centos.1.src.rpm
kdenetwork-3.5.4-13.el5_6.1.src.rpm
libc-client-2004g-2.2.1.src.rpm
libdbi-drivers-0.8.1a-1.2.2.src.rpm
libgnomeprint22-2.12.1-10.el5.src.rpm
libwvstreams-4.2.2-2.1.src.rpm
lynx-2.8.5-28.1.el5_2.1.src.rpm
m2crypto-0.16-8.el5.src.rpm
mod_authz_ldap-0.26-11.el5.src.rpm
mutt-1.4.2.2-3.0.2.el5.src.rpm
mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_6.6.src.rpm
neon-0.25.5-10.el5_4.1.src.rpm
net-snmp-5.3.2.2-17.el5.src.rpm
NetworkManager-0.7.0-13.el5.src.rpm
nmap-4.11-2.src.rpm
nss_ldap-253-49.el5.src.rpm
ntp-4.2.2p1-15.el5.centos.1.src.rpm
openCryptoki-2.2.4-25.el5.src.rpm
openhpi-2.14.0-5.el5.src.rpm
OpenIPMI-2.0.16-12.el5.src.rpm
openldap-2.3.43-25.el5.src.rpm
openldap24-libs-2.4.23-5.el5.src.rpm
openssh-4.3p2-82.el5.src.rpm
pam_ccreds-3-5.src.rpm
perl-Crypt-SSLeay-0.51-11.el5.src.rpm
perl-Net-SSLeay-1.30-4.fc6.src.rpm
php-5.1.6-32.el5.src.rpm
php53-5.3.3-5.el5.src.rpm
postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6.src.rpm
postgresql-8.1.23-1.el5_7.3.src.rpm
postgresql84-8.4.9-1.el5_7.1.src.rpm
postgresql-odbc64-09.00.0200-1.el5.src.rpm
pwlib-1.10.1-7.0.1.el5.src.rpm
pyOpenSSL-0.6-2.el5.src.rpm
python-2.4.3-46.el5.src.rpm
python-ldap-2.2.0-2.1.src.rpm