[CentOS] transition to ip6

Fri Mar 30 18:29:49 UTC 2012
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 02:23:55PM -0400, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> My question, since i have never done ip6 stuff, is what does that mean
> on my webservers?

For modern software, not too much, really!

> Would I just need to replace my ip4 with ip6 in my eths, bonds, bridges,
> and configuration files...and copy out my iptables to ip6tables, and
> change the dns servers?

You can test it today; if your ISP doesn't provide native IPv6 then you
can get a tunnel (eg from tunnelbroker.net) for free.  Then you can
run IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time and see how easy it is.  It's
really easy :-)

I have a linode and a Panix v-colo with native IPv6, and my home network
with an IPv6 HE tunnel.  This email _should_ go via IPv6 from home
to linode, and then probably via IPv4 to the list server... unless that is
also IPv6 enabled!  Most of the time (eg surfing the net) I don't even
know if my traffic is using IPv4 or IPv6.

--

rgds
Stephen