[CentOS] transition to ip6

Sat Mar 31 15:53:15 UTC 2012
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Saturday, March 31, 2012 06:44:38 AM Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > We've been running out of IPV4 address and needing to convert someday
> > soon for the last 10 years..., but yet the vast majority of broadband
> > providers and even most ISP's don't support it yet.

> You've got another couple of months.  I believe most U.S. network
> providers have agreed to a 'flag day' sometime in June 2012.

> Internal networks / backbones at Comcast and Verizon have been IPv6 for
> some time now.  At least that is what a credible little bird told me.

Well, since 100.64.0.0/10 got allocated for draft-weil, CGN and NAT444 will be a reality, and IPv4 gets a new lease on its fugue state. (see: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg09959.html )

To Bob's question, IPv6 and IPv4 will coexist as dual-stack until nothing of importance is left on IPv4, and then it will be turned off by network ops, one AS at a time (iterate across ~30,000 AS's).  It will likely take decades for IPv4 to go away; but I reserve the right to be wrong.