[CentOS] webmin and DNS configuration on CentOS 6.2

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Thu May 10 22:32:08 UTC 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 10:25 AM, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 05/10/12 1:57 AM, John Doe wrote:
>> http://www.virtualmin.com/node/19608
>>> From that page: "The best fix for now would be to
>> stop using the chroot completely, as it has few real security benefits
>> in my opinion."
>
> from my page (not written)
>
> "The best fix would be to toss webmin out the door, its a piece of junk
> that just messes up your system configuration"
>
> same goes for CPanel, Plesk, and the rest of that lot.
----
I don't use virtualmin and never have and likely never will. That said, I think the characterization of it being a 'piece of junk' is grossly unfair as I have used Jamie's Webmin and Usermin (albeit sparingly) and found them to be reasonably effective and Jamie to be extremely committed to bug squashing. I honestly don't know of any project that is more responsive to bug reports and reasonable suggestions. I find it reasonably effective at managing DHCP & DNS servers, very effective at managing LDAP Users and Groups and generally a reasonable tool that I can leave available for my customers on-site servers in case they simply need to shut servers down for odd reasons. Like all GUI configuration panels, it will make a mess of configuration files by randomly re-organizing them but hey, it does work.

I can't comment on CPanel or Plesk because I only had limited exposure to CPanel (cheapo shared hosting environment that my friend uses) and no exposure to Plesk other than the obvious questions that crop on on other lists.

Craig