[CentOS] NetworkManager frustration...

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:16:44 UTC 2012

On 05/11/2012 11:14 AM, Nux! wrote:
> On 10.05.2012 11:55, Timothy Madden wrote:
>> I would like to use dnsmasq to cache nameserver query results, and I
>> have set dhcp to prepend the 127.0.0.1 name-server to the list of
>> nameservers. dnsmasq would then automatically exclude the localhost
>> as a
>> name server and use all the others from the list provided by dhcp.
>>
>> But it was too nice to be true, because NetworkManager was there,
>> ready
>> to mess up anything I try to do, including the list of name servers
>> that
>> dhclient puts in /etc/resolv.conf.
>>
>> Is there really no way to convince that idiotic piece of software
>> that
>> it suffered too much brain damage in order for it to manage even a
>> simple eth0 interface, and that dhclient can properly take care of
>> the
>> resolver configuration by itself ?
>>
>> Or do I have to turn it off entirely ?
>>
>> Is there a better way to have dhclient write the list of DNS servers,
>> that dnsmasq could then use ?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Timothy Madden

> I'm doind the same thing (running local cache) and NM works just fine.
> You should be setting NM to use the "DHCP (addresses only)" as in this
> image: http://img.nux.ro/4PsJ-dhcpnmlocaldns.png
> Put the upstream resolvers in some other file, e.g. /etc/nameservers
> and tell dnsmasq to get it's nameservers from there.
> Or just run a full fledge nameserver yourself and get rid of dnsmasq (I
> use pdns-recursor).

But if I make a separate file like /etc/nameservers than I will have to
update it every time DHCP returns a different list of nameservers.

I tried to write a dhclient-exit-hooks script in /etc/dhcp that would
generate that file, but guess what ? Network Manager supresses the
normal dhclient script file ! (probably uses its own) I tried to add it
back with
          DHCLIENTARGS="-sf /sbin/dhclient-script"
with no effect, because NetworkManager takes care that such an approach
would not work !

And if I try to read some documentation about how NetworkManager would
achieve the same effect, there is nothing clear in its manual pages, you
can only find some (vague) settings about NM plugins.

How can such software be part of CentOS _base_ distribution ?