[CentOS] Cyrus-imapd update from 2.2.12 to 2.3.16

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri May 11 15:48:51 UTC 2012

We are trying to move our mail store from a host running cyrus-imapd
2.2.12 under CentOS-4 to one running 2.3.16 under CentOS-6.  The
current host is a 32 bit architecture. The new host is 64 bit. We have
followed the update guide found at:

http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/install-upgrade.php

The steps we followed were:

1. Install cyrus-imapd et al on the new host.

2. Modify /etc/cyrus.conf and /etc/imapd.conf to suit our
requirements.

3. On the old host dump the mailbox.db in flat format using
/var/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d > mboxlist.txt

4. Copy the mboxlist.txt file and the mail spool from the old to the
new system

5. Run SELinux restorecon -fr on /var/spool/imap to set the correct
contexts and ownership.

6. Load mailbox.db from mboxlist.txt using cat mboxlist.txt |
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -u

7. Run /usr/lib/imapd-cyrus/reconstruct -rfg user

8. Run /usr/lib/imapd-cyrus/reconstruct -G user

9. Run /usr/lib/imapd-cyrus/quota -f

10. Start saslauthd and cyrus-imapd services.

All the transferred mailboxes are seen and the imapd configuration
data seems correct. The problem is that the quotas reported for each
mailbox tree do not seem to aggregate under 2.3 as they did on 2.2.
So, for example a user with an overall allocation of 500Mb reporting
70% utilization for the INBOX on the 2.2.13 version reports 3% on the
2.3.16 server even though the contents of the mailbox trees are
identical.  It seems that the new version calculates quota only for
the INBOX itself, and not for all of the sub-directory contents.

Is this a change in behaviour for 2.3 vice 2.2 or do I have a problem?
 Has anyone run into this and if so, how was it resolved?

Canada  L8E 3C3