[CentOS] st1000spex ethernet card and centos 6.2

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sat May 12 15:39:49 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am still having difficulty installing a second ethernet card in a new
> CentOS 6.2 install.  Tom Bishop was kind enough to give me an excellent
> link to figure out how to change the device names the way I need to have
> them.  It looks to me that CentOS is recognizing the st1000spex card
> from StarTech but I am unable to get data to go in or out of it.
>
> The StarTech manual for this card does not include linux as being
> supported, but several vendors do have their blurbs with linux support
> caveats.  Unfortunately, the StarTech site appears down today, and I
> have not been able to see if they have documentation as to whether there
> is a need for special linux drivers.
>
> Do any of you have a StarTech st1000spex, or any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Ennis

Please include the lspci output.

I can access Startech's website and it says it's a Realtek - RTL8111DL
based chip, so you'd better start googling about that chipset under
CentOS.

Victor,

Thanks for your help.

Looks like StarTech is up for me too now.

I do not have lspci on my system, and could not yum install it, did you
mean lsmod?  If so here is the output for lsmod :

[root at Mail ~]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipt_REDIRECT            1840  1
iptable_nat             6158  1
nf_nat                 22726  2 ipt_REDIRECT,iptable_nat
ipt_LOG                 5845  5
xt_limit                2182  1
autofs4                26888  3
sunrpc                243918  1
target_core_iblock      8228  0
target_core_file        7746  0
target_core_pscsi      14016  0
target_core_mod       286584  3
target_core_iblock,target_core_file,target_core_pscsi
configfs               29821  2 target_core_mod
bnx2fc                120622  0
cnic                   53443  1 bnx2fc
uio                    10974  1 cnic
fcoe                   20748  0
libfcoe                39661  2 bnx2fc,fcoe
8021q                  23575  0
libfc                 105924  3 bnx2fc,fcoe,libfcoe
garp                    7344  1 8021q
stp                     2173  1 garp
llc                     5642  2 garp,stp
scsi_transport_fc      52241  3 bnx2fc,fcoe,libfc
scsi_tgt               12173  1 scsi_transport_fc
cpufreq_ondemand       10448  4
powernow_k8            18090  0
freq_table              4881  2 cpufreq_ondemand,powernow_k8
mperf                   1557  1 powernow_k8
cachefiles             37180  1
fscache                46859  1 cachefiles
ipt_REJECT              2383  0
nf_conntrack_ipv4       9506  7 iptable_nat,nf_nat
nf_defrag_ipv4          1483  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
iptable_filter          2793  1
ip_tables              17831  2 iptable_nat,iptable_filter
ip6t_REJECT             4628  2
nf_conntrack_ipv6       8748  2
nf_defrag_ipv6         12182  1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
xt_state                1492  6
nf_conntrack           79453  5
iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack_ipv6,xt_state
ip6table_filter         2889  1
ip6_tables             19458  1 ip6table_filter
ipv6                  322125  92
cnic,ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6,nf_defrag_ipv6
uinput                  8216  0
sg                     30124  0
microcode             112594  0
serio_raw               4818  0
i2c_piix4              12608  0
r8169                  40000  0
mii                     5271  1 r8169
xhci_hcd              126325  0
snd_hda_codec_realtek   309541  0
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     24682  1
snd_hda_intel          25548  2
snd_hda_codec          91845  3
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               6780  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                56591  0
snd_seq_device          6596  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                84702  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              23057  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    70023  13
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8086  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8662  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
ext4                  364410  6
mbcache                 8144  1 ext4
jbd2                   88834  1 ext4
sr_mod                 16228  0
cdrom                  39803  1 sr_mod
sd_mod                 39520  3
crc_t10dif              1541  1 sd_mod
usb_storage            49452  0
wmi                     6287  0
ahci                   40455  2
radeon               1023391  0
ttm                    70328  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         33236  1 radeon
drm                   230707  3 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            5762  1 radeon
i2c_core               31276  5
i2c_piix4,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
dm_mirror              14101  0
dm_region_hash         12170  1 dm_mirror
dm_log                 10122  2 dm_mirror,dm_region_hash
dm_mod                 81692  20 dm_mirror,dm_log

It is interesting in that the nic interface on the mother board is
listed as :
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit

The nic interface on the mother board works fine.  Based on this I would
have expected the st1000spex to work perfectly.  The mmi entry is listed
as R8169 for lsmod output, I am not really sure what this means.

Greg

OK, I do have lspci on this system;  I am going to it down and put the
st1000spex back in the slot, and will send the lspci out put after I
reboot.

Greg