[CentOS] 6.2 minimal install NIC driver issue

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Fri May 18 15:05:02 UTC 2012

I tried to upgrade one user's system, a Dell Optiplex GX620, and yum got a
GPF. After *much* grief, I finally gave up, and rebuilt the system.

Or, rather, I'm trying to. First problem: I did a minimal install from the
graphical installer - I don't know if that's relevant - but when it boots,
it does *not* install the NIC driver, tg3, on boot. I've got eth0 defined
in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules, I made an
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, and it's onboot, and in
/etc/sysconfig/network, that says yes.

As soon as I *manually* modprobe tg3, the network comes up.

I'm still trying to solve the libpython2.6 update that GPFs.... I haven't
had this on anyone else that was getting the 2.6.32-220.17 update....

      mark