[CentOS] Centos 6 - tigervnc - numbers on keypad

Frank Cox

theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Wed May 23 00:21:22 UTC 2012

I have a ncurses-based program that runs on a vnc desktop on a remote
computer.  On Centos 5 you could enter numbers into the program using the
numeric keypad.  I just installed a new machine running Centos 6 to do this
same job and now numbers can only be entered using the numbers across the top
of the keyboard.  The program still recognizes the keys on the keypad when
numlock is not set (so you get home, pgup, left and right cursor, etc.) but I
get nothing when I set the numlock key.

Having said that, I do see activity when I set numlock and run the xev program,
so the keypresses are obviously getting through.

How can I make this thing accept numbers from the numeric keypad on Centos 6?
Do I have to re-write the ncurses program to recognize some different
keycodes?