[CentOS] Third party repo differences (was: Re: Repositories in CentOS 5.8)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat May 26 16:33:02 UTC 2012

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 05:15:41 AM David Hrbáč wrote:
> Dne 25.5.2012 02:00, Lamar Owen napsal(a):
> > At the moment both EPEL and RPMforge are on a 2.6.x amavisd-new; 2.7 makes some changes in the AM.PDP protocol that can break, for instance, amavisd-milter (distinct from the much less useful amavis-milter).  Neither repo has amavisd-milter, so that compatibility issue may not show up except to those who actually use amavisd-milter instead of the much less useful amavis-milter.
>
> Lamar,
> Repoforge/RPMforge does provide amavisd-new-milter package...
> DH

David,

I understand that you are one of the RPMforge/repoforge packagers, and I thank you for your efforts.

The amavisd-new-milter package does exist for CentOS 5.8; I cannot, however, find an amavisd-new-milter package for CentOS 6 in either rpmforge or rpmforge-extras.

Which is just as well, since this amavisd-new-milter is different from amavisd-milter, which is currently at version 1.5.0, the version that is compatible with amavisd-new 2.7.0 and up.  It's somewhat unfortunate to have two very different things packaged with very similar names; the amavis-milter that comes with amavisd-new is much less useful than the separate amavisd-milter ( http://amavisd-milter.sourceforge.net/ ; the one packaged with amavisd-new is the one with a README at http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.milter.txt that points to the Petr Rehor rewrite at amavisd-milter.sourceforge.net).

To my knowledge no repos have the amavisd-milter package available; I've built my own for six years or so.  I've used both, and the amavisd-new-milter (/usr/sbin/amavis-milter) is not nearly as useful as this amavisd-milter.  In fact, for at least the last three years I've not been able to get the amavis-milter that comes with amavisd-new to work at all, whereas amavisd-milter (the Petr Rehor version at sourceforge) works very well at version 1.5.0.