[CentOS] CentOS 6.2: suspending vim with ctrl-z and resuming with fg - stopped working

Sat May 26 20:56:10 UTC 2012
Alexander Farber <alexander.farber at gmail.com>

Hello,

pardon my chaotic question, but does anybody have an idea,
why can't I suspend vim-enhanced-7.2.411-1.6.el6.x86_64
with a CTRL-Z, then execute few commands at my bash prompt
and then get back to the vim session again with "fg"?

It has stopped working at my CentOS 6.2 machine (I haven't
noticed exactly when) but works fine with CentOS 5.x.

I'm using PuTTY to login to both. The error message I get is:

afarber at www:~> fg
sudo vim test.pl
~
[1]+  Stopped                 sudo vim test.pl

(and nothing comes up)

Thank you
Alex