[CentOS] Allow updates but not upgrades

Thu May 10 09:58:07 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/10/2012 04:49 AM, Peter Kjellström wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2012 03.58.17 Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> There is no provided functionality to do this, that is, CentOS doesn't
>>> differentiate between what you call updates and upgrades.
>> I want to point out that neither does Red Hat.
>>
>> If you are on the RHEL 6 channel and if you run an update after you
>> install RHEL 6.0, you will be at RHEL 6.2.
>>
>> 6.0, 6.1, and 6.2 are really only point in time freezes of installation
>> media.  They are not separate entities or versions.
> To be fair that's not entierly true. At those points in time updates are more
> numerous and higher impact (new kernel -131 -> -220 last time, driver updates,
> some new tech. etc.).

Sure, and people can and should test things before deployment.

But what I said is true ... there is no real mechanism to do this in Red
Hat either, other than to buy a RHN satellite server (or create your own
RHEL yum repos) and populate those separately with tested RPMS
yourself.  If you run updates when subscribed to RHN, it works just like
running updates in CentOS ... you get all or nothing unless you take
actions manually to prevent it.

There are several solutions to be able to make that happen ... manual
repos yourself, mrepo, spacewalk, etc.