[CentOS] NetworkManager frustration...

Thu May 10 10:55:47 UTC 2012
Timothy Madden <terminatorul at gmail.com>

I would like to use dnsmasq to cache nameserver query results, and I
have set dhcp to prepend the 127.0.0.1 name-server to the list of
nameservers. dnsmasq would then automatically exclude the localhost as a
name server and use all the others from the list provided by dhcp.

But it was too nice to be true, because NetworkManager was there, ready
to mess up anything I try to do, including the list of name servers that
dhclient puts in /etc/resolv.conf.

Is there really no way to convince that idiotic piece of software that
it suffered too much brain damage in order for it to manage even a
simple eth0 interface, and that dhclient can properly take care of the
resolver configuration by itself ?

Or do I have to turn it off entirely ?

Is there a better way to have dhclient write the list of DNS servers,
that dnsmasq could then use ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden