[CentOS] Allow updates but not upgrades

Fri May 11 17:34:26 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

>> No, its not what I what.  I have multiple boxes but in different
>> locations,
>
> So put the repo server out in the cloud somewhere.  Put it on a
> public-facing box the others all have access to, or rent a VPS
> somewhere, or grab some EC2 space, or...

None of the suggested approaches are impossible.  They just seem like
a lot very unnecessary work to maintain some installations of a
distribution whose main feature is that updates are supposed to not
break things.

>> If you've included a few programs from EPEL (etc.),  do you mirror
>> that too?
>
> Who mentioned mirroring?

How else can you be sure you have all packages needed for some
arbitrary mix of installations?

> A local repo is just a copy of a set of packages that does what you
> want.  It doesn't necessarily have to have everything available in all
> repos you pull from.

So the same person has to do the installs of of the all the machines?
Or coordinate with a group?  That seems somewhat unreasonable.

> If you think you want the freedom to install random things in an ad hoc
> fashion, that kind of goes against the idea of a tested repo.

I don't want my own tested repos containing the same packages that are
available in the distribution.  I want to be able to tell yum to
reproduce the package list/versions that are on the tested system.  It
knows where to get them.  Isn't it overkill to keep a whole repo
snapshot copy when you really just need a way to tell yum the package
versions you want on the 2nd box?   If packages were routinely deleted
from the public repos, cloning them to make sure you could get a copy
of an older version in the future might make sense, but I don't think
that has ever been an issue.

And even simpler than tracking the full package/version list would be
a way to tell yum to pretend that any packages in the repo newer than
the update on the test box were not there.    But, I don't think that
meshes with the way repo metadata normally works - it probably would
have trouble finding versions newer than installed but not the very
latest even though it is trivial to see them in a directory listing
yourself.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com