[CentOS] Allow updates but not upgrades

Sat May 12 22:23:12 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

 >> knows where to get them.  Isn't it overkill to keep a whole repo
>> snapshot copy when you really just need a way to tell yum the package
>> versions you want on the 2nd box?
>
> Why all the agida?  This isn't difficult:

What is the point of even having revision numbers on packages in the
public repositories if I can't trust that installing that package on
another system will be that same and instead have to maintain my own
snapshot copy to be sure I can reproduce it.

> Step 0, done only once: set up yum repo, and modify the "stable" clients
> to use it:

Repeat for _every_  different system in every state you might want to
be able to reproduce...

> Step 1:
> Step 2:
> Step 3:
> That's it.  Some minor setup, then three (or two) easy steps per update.

I just don't understand why such cumbersome multi-step processes and
local storage facilities are needed.   Why aren't the tools that
people need shipped to work as-is?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com