[CentOS] Sendmail problem - baffled

Tue May 15 21:51:16 UTC 2012
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 15.05.2012 23:42, schrieb Larry Martell:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 May 2012 00:31:22 +0300
>> Jussi Hirvi wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, the two servers are virtual machines in one and the same physical box.
>>
>> What's the point of that?  (Genuine question.)
>>
>> One server here, one across town,  or even two separate boxes in a single room
>> -- sure.  But in the same box?  If the the box is on fire, now you're out both
>> your main and your backup server.
>>
>> I must be missing something; what is it?
>
> I've never been a fan of doing that, but I've recently been seeing it
> at a lot of clients. They have 2 older machines each running its own
> app. They get a new honking big box with enough HP to run both apps
> and they create 2 VMs one for each app.

Yes, one point is to consolidate using virtualization. It is done in
small environments and in really large ones. A very different thing is
to run a main and a backup mail server on the same virtualization host
as 2 VMs. Alone the fact to build up a setup with a backup mail server
is nowadays to 99% a design flaw and non-optimal.

Alexander