[CentOS] Setting overcommit_memory=2 kills system

Fri May 18 13:46:14 UTC 2012
Michael Coffman <michael.coffman at avagotech.com>

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 6:15 AM, John Stanley <john.stanley at elslc.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 13:08 -0600, Michael Coffman wrote:
>
> > vm.overcommit_ratio = 50
>                                         ^^
>
> Try changing the commit ratio to a greater value (yes you can go over
> 100).
> Then sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=2

OK.

> Just because one machine fails gracefully does not mean the next will.

I don't even know what the above means.

> But really buy some ram for real. OR solve the real problem.

Well that's just ridiculous.  'Real problem'?.    If I run a command to
change a kernel value, I assume that my system will not be rendered useless
because it now believes all the memory is consumed.   It seems like a
problem to me no matter how much memory the machine has.