[CentOS] Repositories in CentOS 5.8

Tue May 22 18:18:13 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at> wrote:

>> I am running Cent OS 5.8 in production. Can someone please explain me about
>> various repositories available in CentOS 5.8 and which third party repos (
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories) i should use it in
>> Production environment.
>>
>> Help me understand the pros and cons.
>
> There are a lot of 3rd party repositories around, and my understanding
> is that the only sane way is not to trust a whole repository but only
> selected and therefore tested packages. Consequently though you will
> have to maintain your own repository.

But with EPEL and others with policies to not overwrite base packages,
you won't get anything that you didn't explicitly install (assuming
you trust them to follow their policy...).    A possible exception is
that they consider RHEL as upstream so they might have a rare conflict
with something from centos extras or testing.

Also, you can make things a bit safer by setting 'enabled=0' in the
yum repo config file and then when you want to install or update a
package from there:
yum --enablerepo=repo_name install package_name

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com