[CentOS] Centos 6 - vnc - authentication is required to set the network proxy used for downloading packages

Wed May 23 05:11:43 UTC 2012
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Wed, 23 May 2012 00:12:45 -0400
John Stanley wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 18:26 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > A window keeps popping up on my remote desktop stating "authentication is
> > required to set the network proxy used for downloading packages.  An
>
> Sounds like PackageKit to me. DBUS controls it.  I find it really
> annoying....
>
> /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/refresh-packagekit.conf
> /usr/sbin/packagekitd
>
> Alternatively you can set the yum proxy.

Your answer is not completely clear to me.

I just went into /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/refresh-packagekit.conf and changed
"enabled=1" to "enabled=0"

I then restarted vncserver (service vncserver restart) and when I logged back
into my remote desktop I was greeted with the same "authentication is
required to set the network proxy used for downloading packages.  An
application is attempting to perform an action that requires privileges.
Authentication as the super user is required to perform this action" window
that I'm trying to get rid of.

/usr/sbin/packagekitd is a binary file that I can't edit and my google
searching indicates that it's a daemon that's started on demand when you run
yum.  I'm not running yum at the moment but I see that packagekitd is running
anyway for reasons beyond my understanding.  Neither yum or packagekitd are
listed by system-config-services.

This machine has no network proxy set and doesn't require one.

I have set Preferences-Software Updates to "Check for updates Never" and
"Automatically install Nothing", and that makes no difference either.

So what am I missing?