[CentOS] yum problem with glibc

Sat May 26 13:25:20 UTC 2012
John Stanley <john.stanley at elslc.com>

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 12:45 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Now this is my last question:
> Can I be reasonably (say 90%) sure that the above command
> will not stop the server running?

No you can NOT and don't ever assume that.  That's a mistake thinking
that.

> The problem is that the server is a long way away (in another country)
> and I won't have any way of contacting it if it stops running.

Wait and schedule a downtime window for it.  That's the heart and soul
of linux.  That's playing in the devils den if it's a production
machine.

It's the same in one as the NSS libs on the machine.  They break then
you will have to install things by hand.  RPM and Yum will not work
period.

If the machine in question has like a Fencing Device (like a drac card )
with an IP addy that's public then maybe (that is card dependent).

John