[CentOS] yum problem with glibc

Sun May 27 23:30:34 UTC 2012
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> I've had yum sessions fail (probably mostly from starting them in a
> freenx session...) but never to the point where
> yum-complete-transaction did not fix it, so I don't have a good
> feeling for what is actually happening. However, I wouldn't expect a
> forced install of any reasonably close glibc version to break
> anything.

You're tempting me!
Actually, it would be silly of me to try,
as the server is running fine at the moment,
sending back pictures and watering the garden.

> what is your plan if the drives or motherboard fails?   Worst case
> software wise won't be any worse than that.

That would only be slightly worse,
as I do have a spare machine in the other place.
But it's years since I had a motherboard go sick.
Does that happen less than it used to?

I do have Fedora-16 and Windows XP on the machine,
and was thinking of a complicated system to re-boot into Fedora
if CentOS failed.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net