[CentOS] NTP and virtual guests

Mon May 28 12:41:30 UTC 2012
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

We encountered a problem with respect to KVM virtual host restore and
NTP. Specifically, our VM test host was shutdown by an extended power
outage and when power returned all of the restored guests were
immediately shutdown by ntp because the time differential between the
restored systems and that of the ntpd sync servers exceeded the panic
threshold.

This is not an acceptable situation so in the absence of something
more elegant we are contemplating shutting down ntpd on virtual hosts
and scheduling regular ntpd -q from cron instead.

Is there an alternative to this?  If not then what would be a
recommended scheduling interval?

Canada  L8E 3C3