[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Tue May 29 12:48:43 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/25/2012 07:52 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> It might possibly work, but I can't quite imagine why anyone would
>>> want to do it at this point.  Why not back up anything you might want
>>> to keep, install a nice clean Centos 6.x and put back the files you
>>> wanted?
>> It's a test machine that replicates a production server. The production
>> machine was setup in May 2011 when CentOS was in 5.8 and no 6.x had shown
>> up.
>>
>> So, I need a text 5.x box.
> Even so, what's the point of an in-place upgrade compared to a fresh
> 5.x install?    Even if it works, there will be old cruft left around
> that you don't need and that may cause surprises later.

What Les said ...

If the production box is already CentOS 5.x ... it would seem to me that
you already know what needs to be done to make your items run on CentOS-5.8.

If you upgrade a Fedora box to CentOS, while it can be done, it will
contain many packages that are not part of CentOS.  It will not be
stable and it will not be a duplicate of your production box.

Backup the old info and wipe the machine, put 5.x on it, bring in the
items you need from the backup (most of which you should know how to do,
since you are already using it on 5.8 in production).

It is not worth the hassle of trying to remove all the Fedora Core items
later on and doing an in-place upgrade ... at least not in my opinion.