[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Wed May 30 19:07:16 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 30.05.2012 20:36, schrieb Les Mikesell:
>> Fedora doesn't support/recommend in-place upgrades across major
>> versions or at least didn't for those versions.  My experience was
>> that even within a major rev. an update could kill your system.
>
> then you are doing something wrong

Yes, I was running it on an IBM server box that they didn't bother to
test.   Found out much later that the pre-update kernel worked on the
firmware I had installed and the mid-rev update they pushed needed a
firmware bios update to run there.

> am i really the only one who did some hundret successfull
> fedora dist-upgrades in the last 4 years with yum and
> no downtime longer than a normal kernel update?

Probably.  Lots of other things broke in same-major-rev updates until
I gave up at FC6.  Whether any particular machine runs or not has
never been a priority for fedora.  Maybe your hardware matches one of
the developers.   On the other hand, I had 2 4-year uptime runs with a
pre-fedora RH 7.3.  (had to move it once).  For about 6 of those years
it was very busy.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com