[CentOS] Request for CentOS stats

Wed May 30 22:22:40 UTC 2012
Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>

> On Wed, 30 May 2012, Max Pyziur wrote:
>
>> I also don't see that answers here have been uniform; some, even
>> many, have been very helpful. So, thank you to those people who have
>> taken the time to reply and discuss the issues that I've raised.
>
> You haven't raised any issues. You just asked for a couple numbers.

You are correct. On this thread, I haven't raised any issues; I've simply
asked for some headline numbers: total installed base of servers, and the
total number of subscribers to this list. It's just to get a sense of
size.

Conversely and as an example of the type of request that I am making,
Fedoraproject gives you the number of times the different spins have been
downloaded; the NY Times give you a ranking of articles that have been
most emailed, most viewed, and the like.

I think that Fedora also tries to get a sense of its user base through a
registration process. I don't know how effective or accurate that is, but
it does offer some possibility to make comparisons.

My request has nothing to do with identities.

My request stems from the fact that I've been a Linux user since the late
1990s, starting with Redhat 5.0. I'm interested in the size of the various
Linux-oriented communities.

MP
pyz at brama.com