[CentOS] Allow updates but not upgrades

Thu May 10 06:46:07 UTC 2012
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 10 May 2012 17.36.07 Gregory Machin wrote:
> Hi.
> At the moment it seems my machines just update to the latest current
> release . I install a 6.0 machine and run yum update , and next thing
> its 6.2 .
>
> I have a requirement where I need machines to only upgrade to even
> numbered sub releases eg: 6.0 , 6.2, 6.4 and only on my approval. But
> will allow updates within a given release.

There is no provided functionality to do this, that is, CentOS doesn't
differentiate between what you call updates and upgrades.

> How can I achieve this ?

Normally (default yum config) a machine fetches it's packages from URL.../6/..
You can change this 6 to 6.x. That will prevent you from getting updates
belonging to 6.x+1 _but_ will have the negative side-effect of stopping to
work when 6.x+1 is released (6.x removed from normal mirrors).

Keeping you own repo (rsynced without --delete) may be the best idea (but
requires more work).

/Peter