[CentOS] Allow updates but not upgrades

Thu May 10 14:40:56 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>> All of those that I've investigated make you manage copies of packages
>> locally which seems like overkill when you aren't changing them
>> locally.  Is there any solution that simply lets you tell yum not to
>> install any updates newer than the latest one you've tested?   Or more
>> cumbersome but still less so than maintaining repos - a way to have
>> yum duplicate the package/versions that are on your test machines
>> across a set of others?
>>

> No ... yum is designed to install software from repositories.  If you
> want to install a subset of a repository, then you need make a new
> repository that is a subset of the said repository.

Yes,  I'd just prefer that since yum runs on my machine that it had
been designed to manage the software on my machine instead of acting
as an agent for the remote repository or its managers.

But, since yum is generally able to install specified versions as long
as they still exist in the repository and it doesn't have to go
backwards, I'd think such a thing would be possible by managing
package lists instead of the packages.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com