[CentOS] when is the o.s. considered to be at a certain minor version? Or, is it safe to apply only certain package updates from the next release version?

Thu May 10 21:25:41 UTC 2012
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 05/10/12 2:12 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> I can not agree with this. Minor versions also introduce newer kernels
> (hardware support) and some changes in packages that are not done during
> regular update releases. Certain technological previews are also
> introduced and so on.

Those 'newer kernels' are sub-versions of the same x.y.z kernel
originally released.

6.2 plus updates is currently 2.6.32-220, it was originally 2.6.32, and
6.anythign will remain 2.6.32, only the -xxx will change.

Yes, sometimes new hardware support is added.

Those technological previews are in the form of additional packages.
Don't want them?  Don't install them!