[CentOS] XEN or KVM - performance/stability/security?

Sat May 12 18:38:34 UTC 2012
Steve Thompson <smt at vgersoft.com>

On Sun, 6 May 2012, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> with "fork performance" I assume you're comparing Xen PV to KVM ?
> Yes, PV has disadvantage (per design) for that workload, since the hypervisor
> needs to check and verify each new process page table, and that has some performance hit.
> For good "fork performance" you can use Xen HVM VMs, which will perform well for that workload,
> and won't have the mentioned performance hit.

I used both PV and HVM VMs. I don't have the details to hand at the
moment, but KVM was superior to both. PV drivers where applicable. I have
been running KVM for about 15 months now, with 30 VM's on one host and 38
VM's on another. It has been solid; no problems, but unfortunately I had
problems with Xen.

Steve