[CentOS] True bond howto for Centos 6

Sun May 13 19:42:52 UTC 2012
Jerry Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 05/13/2012 10:16 AM, bob wrote:

> from what i get it is a problem with libvirt, using a bridge that is
> going through a bond....on the same machine.
> It must be rather detailed to fix and only a few people seem to use that
> route. (like you and me)

I've been running 14 CentOS5 VMs with bridged over active-backup bonded
interfaces (actually, over three sets of bonded interfaces) on a single
Ubuntu 10.04-LTS server KVM host for a couple of years now. The only
real issue I have had is that during a host reboot the 'thundering herd'
trying to autostart simultaneously sometimes doesn't reliably start all
14 VMs and I have to manually launch the one or two VMs that fail to
launch.

Also, I had to roll my own shutdown script because for whatever reason
Ubuntu 10.04 thinks shooting running VMs in the head during a shutdown
is a better approach than waiting for them to properly shutdown on request.

--
Benjamin Franz