[CentOS] XEN or KVM - performance/stability/security?

Wed May 16 21:47:33 UTC 2012
Luke S. Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com>

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 03:46:43PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> A late reply, but hopefully a useful set of feedback for the archives:
>
> On 04/20/2012 05:59 AM, Rafał Radecki wrote:
> > Key factors from my opint of view are:
> > - stability (which one runs more smoothly on CentOS?)
>
> I found that xenconsoled could frequently crash in Xen dom0, and that
> guests would be unable to reboot until it was fixed.  I also found that
> paravirt CentOS domUs would not boot if they were updated before the
> dom0.  In short, Xen paravirt was very fragile and troublesome.  I never
> tested Xen with hardware virtualization.

This particular problem was fixed some time ago, it hasn't happened
to my (many) dom0s in more than a year.

The RHEL5 Xen dom0 was garbage until 5.3 or so.  To the point where I'd
compile my own and deal with the pain of using a non-rhel kernel with
a rehl userland.

Stability has improved vastly.

> > - performance (XEN PV/HVM(with or without pv drivers) vs KVM HVM(with or
> > without pv drivers))
>
> PV drivers will make some difference, but the biggest performance
> difference you'll see is probably the difference between file-backed VMs
> and LVM-backed VMs.  File-backed VMs are extremely slow.  Whichever
> system you choose, use LVMs as the backing for your guests.

My experience has been that using qemu for disk has something of a
multiplier effect;  e.g. it makes slow spinning disk noticably
slower.  The paravirtualized drivers help immensely in that regard.

(how are the paravirt drivers in KVM these days?  I have a server
full of kvm guests running some ancient version of ubuntu I will be
moving to RHEL6 shortly.)