[CentOS] Setting overcommit_memory=2 kills system

Fri May 18 13:50:58 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Michael Coffman
<michael.coffman at avagotech.com> wrote:

>> Just because one machine fails gracefully does not mean the next will.
>>

> I don't even know what the above means.
>

>> But really buy some ram for real. OR solve the real problem.
>>

> Well that's just ridiculous.  'Real problem'?.    If I run a command to
> change a kernel value, I assume that my system will not be rendered useless
> because it now believes all the memory is consumed.   It seems like a
> problem to me no matter how much memory the machine has.

If you are already overcommitted, what do you expect to happen when
you say not to allow that?   The kernel doesn't have a really good way
to handle that situation (or any other OOM condition for that
matter...).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com