[CentOS] pvcreate limitations on big disks?

Wed May 23 19:39:59 UTC 2012
Marcelo Beckmann <marcelo.beckmann at webers.com.br>

Em 23-05-2012 16:24, Alan McKay escreveu:
> OK folks, I'm back at it again.  Instead of taking my J4400 ( 24 x 1T
> disks) and making a big RAID60 out of it which Linux cannot make a
> filesystem on, I'm created 4 x RAID6 which each are 3.64T
>
> I then do :
>
> sfdisk /dev/sd{b,c,d,e} <<EOF
> ,,8e
> EOF
>
> to make a big LVM partition on each one.
>
> But then when I do :
>
> pvcreate /dev/sd{b,c,d,e}1
>
> and then
>
> pvdisplay
>
> It shows each one as only half its actual size.

You need to use GPT partition table to manage above 2TB.
Traditional DOS partition can't manage above 2TB.
fdisk can't work with GPT, it's possible sfdisk don't work too.

Try using parted /dev/device, and
mklabel GPT

--
Marcelo Beckmann