[CentOS] Multiple incremental DVD backup program?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:21:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:

>> Just a knee-jerk reaction because I like it so well, but whenever
>> anyone mentions backups I have to recommend backuppc.   If you have
>> any other system that can work over the network (perhaps offsite via
>> VPN) and hold copies on-line you might like it.  It is the kind of
>> thing that you can set up once and it will take care of itself for
>> years.   It can use rsync for the transport so after your initial copy
>> you only need bandwidth for the changes.
>
> That's something I might take a look at. What I want
> to do is make backups that are on removable media, so they
> are not dependant on a machine for their data safety. Once I
> have burnt the backups to DVD they will be stored away then,
> just in case I need them.

Backuppc has an option to do something like that out of the backup
copies (extract the equivalent of a tar, compressed and split to files
that will fit on your backup media) but it is sort of an afterthought.
 The real focus is on keeping a history of backups online stored in a
very efficient form so you can keep much more than you would expect
online and available in a given amount of disk space.   It is much
easier to use its web interface  to pick a file from last month to
restore than to have to extract it from some huge old tar files on
dvds.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com