[CentOS] Desktop Switcher

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 20:45:44 UTC 2012

On 11/03/2012 09:21 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 03.11.2012 07:09, schrieb John R Pierce:
>> On 11/02/12 8:51 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>>> Does CentOS have a desk top switcher similar to what you find on Fedora?
>>>
>>> A friend of mine want's to be able to switch between desktops.  I've
>>> only got Gnome installed on my machine so I don't switch.  A search of
>>> Google turns up reference to CentOS 4 for desktop switcher but I don't
>>> see anything for CentOS 6.3.
>> its built into gnome, you can enable as many virtual desktops as you
>> like, and move windows onto any of them.    they should up as little
>> boxes to the right end of the bottom toolbar (taskbar?). I forget if it
>> comes up with 1 or 2 configured.
>>
>> I forget offhand how you configure them, but its not hard to find.
>
> The OP is for sure speaking about
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/switchdesk
>
> Not switching between virtual desktops but pre-login selection between
> various desktop environments.
>
> Alexander

Yes, this is what I'm referencing.  Virtual desktops are common to all
Unix/Linux GUI environments that I've seen.  The switchdesk application
is available for Fedora but does not seem to be available for CentOS.

"*"*"*"
nux at li.nux.ro wrote:

Hi,

You can do it from GDM itself, at login time you can choose the
language and the desktop environment to log in to. See image.
http://img.nux.ro/3mM-el6gdm.png
"*"*"*"

This image is of the Stella GDM not CentOS but it does demonstrate what
I'm talking about.

To clarify my original posting, I only have the Gnome desktop installed
on my machine.  I do not have KDE, or any other desktop, installed, just
Gnome.  I do not see a session selection on my systems GDM panel.

What I want to know is this:

If I have multiple installations does CentOS also support the same
session selection option on the GDM panel as is shown on the screen shot
of the Stella GDM?

--
     _
    °v°