[CentOS] Desktop Switcher

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 20:45:44 UTC 2012

On 11/03/2012 09:21 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 03.11.2012 07:09, schrieb John R Pierce:
>> On 11/02/12 8:51 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>>> Does CentOS have a desk top switcher similar to what you find on Fedora?
>>> A friend of mine want's to be able to switch between desktops.  I've
>>> only got Gnome installed on my machine so I don't switch.  A search of
>>> Google turns up reference to CentOS 4 for desktop switcher but I don't
>>> see anything for CentOS 6.3.
>> its built into gnome, you can enable as many virtual desktops as you
>> like, and move windows onto any of them.    they should up as little
>> boxes to the right end of the bottom toolbar (taskbar?). I forget if it
>> comes up with 1 or 2 configured.
>> I forget offhand how you configure them, but its not hard to find.
> The OP is for sure speaking about
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/switchdesk
> Not switching between virtual desktops but pre-login selection between
> various desktop environments.
> Alexander

Yes, this is what I'm referencing.  Virtual desktops are common to all
Unix/Linux GUI environments that I've seen.  The switchdesk application
is available for Fedora but does not seem to be available for CentOS.

nux at li.nux.ro wrote:

You can do it from GDM itself, at login time you can choose the
language and the desktop environment to log in to. See image.

This image is of the Stella GDM not CentOS but it does demonstrate what
I'm talking about.

To clarify my original posting, I only have the Gnome desktop installed
on my machine.  I do not have KDE, or any other desktop, installed, just
Gnome.  I do not see a session selection on my systems GDM panel.

What I want to know is this:

If I have multiple installations does CentOS also support the same
session selection option on the GDM panel as is shown on the screen shot
of the Stella GDM?

    ^ ^  Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004