[CentOS] LibreCAD FOSS

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 18:19:23 UTC 2012

On 11/11/2012 11:51 AM, joel billy wrote:
> Yes, its possible, although i could be wrong below.
>
> If i own a project, code written entirely by me and released it under
> GPL or any other license, i'm still free to change the license to
> proprietary/restricted etc. However there are a few things which would
> have changed since the original relese
>
> 1. Any one holding the gpl'ed source code can still
> use/distribute/modify it etc. So someone can come up with a fork and
> continue with the project
> 2. I cannot take modifications submitted by other into my new closed
> source project as others would have submitted them under GPL license,
> unless i have the permission of the contributors. This includes
> modification to any fork or contribution to the original source code
> before the license change
>

> hth,
>
> jb

Just because someone has published source code does not mean that it is
subject to the GPL.  Many organizations make up their own license which
may, or may not, be in compliance to the FSF guidelines.

I don't know what license Qcad community edition was released under, but
I do know that several features of the professional edition were/are not
available in the community edition because not all of the source code
was released.  Certain portions of the code remained proprietary.  Even
Microsoft has some open source software.

If LibreCAD is able to compete, toe to toe, with Qcad Pro that's a great
thing.  I'll support Qcad, Fluendo, or any other company that produces a
first class product at a reasonable price that runs on my favorite OS
with my cash purchases.

If companies don't see a financial incentive to develop software for
Linux they won't.  Linux will remain a third class OS in the eyes of the
consumer, if they are even aware of it's existence.  Companies won't
make what people won't buy.

When I speak with potential users I always tell them to list their
required functions, then find software that supports their needs, then
read the package to find out what OS supports their software.

Until the software that people want to use runs on Linux they will not
choose Linux for their OS.  Face the facts.  People are not interested
in setting up VMs or using WINE to get their required functions to work.
  Crazy people like me will go to extremes but Joe Average is not going
there.

--
     _
    °v°