[CentOS] Ruby rails rpm package

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Nov 20 13:50:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, November 20, 2012 06:53, C. L. Martinez wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 11/20/2012 08:39 AM, C. L. Martinez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>  Somebody knows if exists some rpm package for ruby rails??
>>
>> Normally, rubygems is the way to go to install Rails.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>   Phil...
>>

> Sure, but how can I update rubygems installed in one system??

The main problem with RHEL and Ruby on Rails is that the version of
Ruby available for EL6 from reputable repositories is too old.  RoR
3.2 can get by on 1.8.7 but support for Ruby versions prior to 1.9.3
is being dropped in the forthcoming RoR v4 release.  Thus, a
RHEL/CentOS rpm package for Rails really will not give you much, if
anything.

I suggest that you investigate both RBENV and RVM as alternatives to
using the rpm packaged Ruby. I advise you consider that for RoR
projects the Bundler gem is the preferred way of installing and
managing project specific packages, including Rails itself.

The down side to this approach is that your production servers need to
have development tools installed to build the Ruby interpreter and the
support gems.  The up side is that you can version specific ruby vms
and gemsets on a project by project basis.

https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv
https://rvm.io/
http://gembundler.com/

I used rvm almost from its inception but have recently changed to
rbenv as this has a much smaller footprint on the user's environment.
But both are excellent products.  If you are installing RoR for a
production environment then you will almost certainly need to consider
using Passenger (mod-rails) as well.

https://www.phusionpassenger.com/

HTH.

Canada  L8E 3C3