[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 21 22:04:56 UTC 2012

On 11/21/2012 06:17 PM, richard.hedin at nokia.com wrote:
> I believe I have the exact answer to "Centos 6 Server has no GUI" but I don't see how to attach my answer to that thread.
>
> I am running in Virtual Box on a Windows machine.  When I changed my memory available from ½ Gb to 1 Gb , and my video memory to 24Mb, my installation script went from an interface reminiscent of MS-DOS in the 80's to a nice GUI installation, and my number of packages installed went from 200 and some to 1400 and some.
>
> Apparently, the installation identifies what your box is capable of, and installs only what's appropriate.  And doesn't tell you!

the text installer in CentOS-6 will default to a minimal install set and
does not give you any package selection options - however, with the gUI
installer you should get ( and I am sure you did ) a package selection
screen that you most likely just clicked through without looking at the
package sets already selected.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax